Tuesday, October 13, 2009

The Jewel Song



Ah! je ris de me voir, Marguerite's aria from Faust

Ah! je ris de me voir (Ah, I laugh to see myself)
si belle en ce miroir, (so beautiful in this mirror,)
Ah! je ris de me voir (Ah, I laugh to see myself)
si belle en ce miroir, (so beautiful in this mirror,)
Est-ce toi, Marguerite, est-ce toi? (Is it you, Marguerite, it is you?)
Réponds-moi, réponds-moi, (Answer me, answer me,)
Réponds, réponds, réponds vite! (Respond, respond, respond quickly!)
Non! Non! ce n’est plus toi! (No No! it’s no longer you!)
Non...non, ce n’est plus ton visage; (No...no, it’s no longer your face;)
C’est la fille d’un roi; (It’s the daughter of a king,)
Ce n’est plus toi, (It’s no longer you, etc.)
Qu’on salut au passage! (One must bow to her as she passes!)
Ah s’il était ici! (Ah if only he were here!)
S’il me voyait ainsi! (If he should see me thus)
Comme une demoiselle (Like a lady)
Il me trouverait belle, Ah! (He would find me so beautiful, Ah!)
Comme une demoiselle, (Like a lady,)
Il me trouverait belle! (He would find me beautiful!)
Achevons la métamorphose, (Lets complete the metamorphosis,)
Il me tarde encor d’essayer (I am late yet in trying on)
Le bracelet it le collier! (The bracelet and the necklace!)
Dieu! c’est comme une main, (God! it’s like a hand)
Qui sur mon bras se pose! ah! ah! (Which is placed on my arm! Ah, ah!)

No comments:

Post a Comment