Friday, September 11, 2009

Inspirational Moment

As you all know by now (at least, I hope you know), I am an aspiring Opera Singer. I have been training in this "field" for about 11 years now, since I started working with my Voice Teacher, Oscar Diaz, Jr. of Performers Institute. (http://www.performersmusic.com)

When I first walked into his studio, I had NO IDEA that 11 years later, I would be singing Opera... I mean, c'mon... are you serious? Opera?! It took a little adjusting... and really the first few months, maybe even couple of years, I wasn't really sure that I could ever aspire to make a career of this... Seriously? But now, 11 years later, I am still studying with the man that planted the "Opera Seed" into my Brain, and I think I've begun to spring some strong roots ;) In the past 11 years, I have made many improvements, and have developed a sound that I could've NEVER dreamed of. If you want to know what I'm talking about, you can check out the video in the sidebar to the right, or check out www.myspace.com/piccoladiva)

Fortunately, I have been lucky enough to sing with the Florida Grand Opera Chorus, where I have had a "front row seat" watching and listening to MANY inspirational talent. I wanted to take the opportunity to showcase some of these very talented Ladies :)

First up, Elizabeth Caballero (http://www.elizabethcaballero.com/)
She is a Cuban Soprano that is REALLY going places! She has sung in the FGO Chorus, Young Artist Program, and debuted on their stage as Mikaela in Carmen. I have had the pleasure of working with Elizabeth Caballero in La Boheme. It is always a pleasure to work with such a polished performer, and especially someone who is giving "Cubans" a good name in this business. ;)

Next up, another Cuban Soprano worthy of mention... Eglise Gutierrez, another Cuban Singer making waves in the Ocean of Opera (http://www.eglisegutierrez.net/).
I heard many wonderful things about Eglise starting beginning around 2007. I was fortunate enough to claim a spot as "The Queen of the Night" at the Intermezzo Foundation's Summer Program (http://intermezzofoundation.org), headed up Mitchell Piper. Coincidentally, Mr. Piper manages Eglise's Career through Intermezzo Artist Management. In 2008, Eglise was contracted to sing the role of Violetta in La Traviata with Florida Grand Opera... and I once again was able to see her work, up close and personal.

Last, but SURELY not the least is Leah Partridge (http://www.leahpartridge.com/). Leah is a wonderful example of something that seems to be lacking in Opera these days... and that is beautiful "Bel Canto" line, uninterrupted by "bad teaching". Her technique is superb, and her style is always just right... She was my first big inspiration after I saw her perform the role of Lucia in Lucia di Lammermoor with Florida Grand Opera. I was in the Chorus, and was able to observe every nuance, and every detail of her singing. She is fantastic!

Well, that pretty much does it for today... Not to say that there are not any more singers that I am inspired by, or that I listen to, etc... but I thought I would go easy on you all ;) After all, I can't give it all away at once... Maybe next time we'll talk about the guys... or maybe we will talk about singers of the past... I guess we'll just have to see where my Inspiration takes me :)

Happy Blogging!

1 comment:

  1. I just found your blog - it's great!

    I started studying voice just 2 years ago and I too cannot believe the difference. Never in my wildest dreams did I think I could sing opera. So I can relate to your feelings about what you've accomplished! You've been at it much longer and are MUCH more accomplished than I am or ever will be, but the amazement at our own progress is the same.
    Another thing we sort of have in common - I have worked with Elizabeth Caballero. When I'm not studying voice, I volunteer as a super with NJ Opera. I was a servant in La Traviata when she was Violetta. She is amazing! And so sweet. I can't imagine SINGING with her. You're very lucky!

    Love that Hello Kitty Cupcake in your other post, btw. :)

    ~Susan

    ReplyDelete