Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Update on Sarasota Opera Audition

On Sunday, the 13th, my Hubby and I made the 3-hour drive to Sarasota for my Audition with the Sarasota Opera's Apprentice Program. I never get nervous when I have an audition, but this time, I was... the last time I auditioned for this company was back in 2006, and it didn't go as well as I had planned... When I walked into my audition, ready to sing, I offered my first piece from the Opera "L'Africaine". The Conductor interrupts me and says, "Or else...?" I froze. I didn't know what to do! I had never gone to an audition where they didn't want to hear my first piece... He chose a 2nd, and I sang it... but I don't think I fully recovered from the shock, and kind of bombed.

That was then...

This time, I rocked it out. Honestly, I had a pretty fabulous audition. I started with Electra's aria from Mozart's Idomeneo. They seemed to really enjoy it. When I was done, he asked me for the Queen of the Night's vengeance aria, from the opera The Magic Flute (one of the operas they are doing this season). Fortunately, I've done the entire Opera, and own the score... Unfortunately, I had left it in the car with my Hubby. I didn't want to be carrying it around since I was also offering the other aria. I did, however, have the Queen's other aria from the beginning of the Opera, "O zittre nicht...", so I offered him that. He wanted to hear the "fast part" with the coloratura and the high "F". He also inquired about my age before he let me begin, which was interesting. But yeah, I nailed it. I even sustained the "F" to show a nice, free and vibrant sound. I thought he would have heard enough, since they normally don't ask for more than 2 pieces at an audition... but he shocked me when he asked for a 3rd selection... the beginning of "Caro Nome" from Rigoletto, starting from the aria.

I definitely walked out of there with my head held high.

Now to play the waiting game...

Happy Blogging :)

1 comment:

  1. :::UPDATE:::

    Unfortunately, I received an e-mail from them stating that I have not been chosen for this year's program. About 440 applied, and they heard over 200 singers for 24 spots. I know of one former colleague who got a spot, Mezzo-Soprano Cathleen Candia. I met Cathleen while in Italy singing with International Lyric Academy's Summer Program. Congratulations to Cathleen!

    Now, moving on to the next thing... Ah, the life of an Opera singer! ;)

    ReplyDelete